Sunday, April 3, 2016

Snowy start to a fine day - Arcadia Management Area

A Snowy start - Click images for larger view
Imagine my surprise this morning when I woke up to a few inches if snow, wind at 30 knots and temps in the twenties...this is not the spring morning I wanted. I snuggled into my chair with my coffee and my news while Nana finished up her sleep. We had a late evening last night with friends playing cards...I got my butt kicked, but it is the company and the conversation that made the evening so worth while. While Nana slept, I read news, watched a few videos on my phone and then as Nana was getting her day underway, I had a good conversation with my brothers who were together and on speaker phone.. always a good time. Just when you think the insults couldn't get any harsher. . . . well I'll leave that to your imagination.

We did not get off to our earliest start, but once underway we made haste to the Middle Of Nowhere Diner, which always has consistently great food. We have eaten here a couple of times and the service is great and although there is always a crowd you never seem rushed or hurried.
Morning Coffee
Middle Of Nowhere



Big portions
Even though they claim to be in the middle of nowhere, they really seem to be in the middle of everywhere and an easy spot to get to, about 20 minutes from home. After having our fill and too much coffee, we were off to the Arcadia Management Area off of Route 165 in Southwestern Rhode Island. We parked at the Upper Roaring Brook Pond and followed the brook down to Browning Mill Pond. There was still snow on the ground and the wind was still howling. I had difficulty keeping my hat on. . .

All bundled up
We walked along the yellow dot trail which completely circumnavigates the pond - about a two mile loop and a very flat trail. The trail was very easy and obvious to follow and is very scenic. Lots of rocks and a variety of twists and turns make this a very interesting walk, and even though there are several areas where the trail goes through marshy or boggy places, those who manage the trail have made planked 'bridges' over these obstacles so your feet stay nice and dry. Along the side of the trail there is a wide variety of lichens on both trees and rocks, and Princess Pine, lots of Princess Pine -- the forest floor was blanketed in some areas with thee pretty little plants. I spotted a birds nest in a tree along the shore of the pond, and it seemed to have three yellowish colored eggs in it.I didn't recognize them and didn't want to get too close. . . Later when we were near the main dam, we saw many Swifts or Swallows diving toward the water. (Reminder to self, bring a Bird Guide Book) We guessed that something must have been hatching for this much activity, and I wondered if those eggs didn't belong to one of these pretty birds. Below are several photos from the walk and are in the order which they were taken around the trail. I will caption them in away I hope explains to the viewer just what they are looking at.

Planks laid down over the soft bits along the trail

We passed several little streams along the early part of the loop

And each stream had a bridge to accommodate 

Down below the dam at the far end of the pond catching some of the sun's warmth.

Curious Ponds
We came across these ponds that were marked with little yellow signs that said 'Closed Area No Admittance' - at first glance we thought the ponds might be cranberry bogs but they didn't look right for cranberries - we came to the conclusion that they are likely fish ponds maybe for raising trout to release back into the wild. But that is just a guess and will require further research. These ponds we below the dam and had good water control to fill or flood them as needed. From here we walked back up to the dam and had a great view of the pond. It was here that we saw all of the Swallows feed above the surface of the pond.

Up on the dam

Like walking through a cathedral of wood
Walking through this area of tall pines was very thought provoking. So many tall and straight trees and the silence was fantastic. And in the area we met a guy walking his dog who lives in the area. We chatted for a while, he said he does this loop every day..I am jealous.

Nearing the end of the loop, more stone walls in the woods.
We closed the loop around the pond back at Roaring Brook and walked the last quarter mile back to the car along a wonderful raised boardwalk through the woods. The boardwalk makes the trail handicapped accessible for those in wheelchairs... a nice touch. So when we arrived back at the car my hiking app said we had walked 2.8 miles - Nana's app was in disagreement and said 2.2 miles - if I were to have guessed I would have said even less..it was a very easy walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment