Monday, August 15, 2016

Not much - Hyannis, MA - 8-13-16

Percy's Place, Hyannis
Not much of an entry this week as we did not get out for our traditional Sunday walk. Instead we went to the Cape (Cape Cod) and visited with friends. We did, however, stop for breakfast in Hyannis at Percy's Place, a great family run 'chain' (maybe 5 locations) of diners in New England. Great food always and they have initiated "Endless Eggs" when you order an egg breakfast you can have as many eggs as you would like. I was a glutton this week and had three... could have had ten, but I practiced restraint. Good service and good food, and toast cooked right made for a good breakfast. Nana and I then went for a walk around town. We walked from the diner down to the waterfront. We are always drawn to any waterfront to check out the boats as our past is filled with many fond memories of life at sea. Hyannis is a busy port with lots of fishing and pleasure boats and of course the ferries that run from the mainland to the islands. After a mile or so of walking I found a place to settle in with my sketch pad and Nana continued to explore the town. As I sat on a park bench and sketched the town was coming to life and more and more people passed by pulling luggage heading for the ferries and several stopped by to look over my shoulder and ask questions. I never mind chatting and sketching. Nana would stop by from time to time to check my progress and the sun was climbing higher into the sky. Soon I was sitting in full sunlight when the heat of the day marched right in and I began my typical projectile sweating. I am 67 years old and no longer have to prove my manhood so I decided to retreat to the air conditioning of my car. I wrapped up my sketching and discovered Nana relaxing in the shade of tree chatting with a local fisherman. We made our way back to the comfort of our car and began a great weekend visiting with friends. . . total hike for me was about a mile and a half.. Nana must have walked well over 50 miles.  . . just guessing. . .
Hyannis House

No comments:

Post a Comment